Thursday, April 2, 2009

Resurrection Eggs

Lately, I have seen these cute little Resurrection Eggs, everywhere! This is the first I've heard of them, and when I saw how easy they are to make, I had to try it out! Heather has really great directions on her blog on how to make this project.

Resurrection Eggs are a really neat way to teach children about the story of Easter, beyond the Easter Bunny, sweet candies, new clothes, and egg hunts. It gives them a visual/tangible way to relate to and understand the true meaning of Easter - Jesus Christ's resurrection.
"Christ died for our sins and he was raised for our justification." Romans 4:25

I went to the 99c Only store and got my supplies for under $6.00! I checked around at some stores online, and the Resurrection Egg kit sells for $9.00-$13.00...I knew I could make it how I wanted, without spending that much money!


I cut a branch off a tree, and glued (liquid nail...LOVE that stuff!) the end. I took little white and purple flowers from a small floral arrangement that I had, and super glued them on the branches to give my Easter Tree a little softer look.

Finding something to 'plant' my tree in was the hardest part...I scoured the 99c store over and over looking for the perfect planter. I looked at Easter baskets, tins, flower pots...you name it! I finally came upon this little daisy thing. It's a decorative ball similar to a kugal ball, and it comes in several colors, but I liked the yellow best. I saw that it had a small hole at the bottom, and I knew I could use that hole to hold my tree! I was so happy I found this that I was literally dancing around the isle...Jackson was looking at me like I was crazy, lol! Then, I realized that my round pot would need a base so it would be sturdy and not roll over. I went back to the 'Easter Isle', and found a basic yellow flower that was covered with glitter, which completely satisfied my love for all things sparkly! I think it was a window decoration or something, but I had other plans for it!
I liquid nailed my new base to my daisy pot, and VOILA! A Springy look for my Easter Tree and Resurrection Eggs.
Once I had the foundation of my project done, I began making the trinkets that go inside the eggs to tell the story along with the scripture inside each egg. I hung the plastic eggs from curling ribbon on the branches, and I must say that I am very happy with how it all came out!
If you are interested in making your own Resurrection Eggs, here's what you put in the eggs:

(Bread) Matthew 26:26 While they were eating Jesus took a piece of bread,gave a prayer of thanks, broke it, and gave it to His disciples."Take and eat it," He said, "This is My body."

(3 dimes) Matthew 26: 14-15 Then one of the twelve disciples, named Judas Iscariot, went to the chief priests and asked, "What will you give me if I betray Jesus to you?" They counted out thirty silver coins and gave them to him.

(Purple cloth, representing a purple robe) Mark 15:17They put a purple robe on Jesus. . .

(Thorns, like on a rose stem) Matthew 27:29Then they made a crown out of thorny branches and placed it on His head, and put a stick on His right hand; then they knelt before Him and made fun of Him. "Long live the King, of the Jews!" they said.

(Scourge-a small piece of rope or thick string) Mark 15:15Pilate wanted to please the crowd, so he set Barabbas free for them. Then he had Jesus whipped and handed Him over to be crucified.

(A small cross) John 19: 17-18a He went out, carrying His cross, and came to "The Place of the Skull," as it is called. (In Hebrew it is called "Golgotha.") There they crucified Him.

(Nails) John 20:25b Thomas said to them, "Unless I see the scars of the nails in His hands and put my finger on those scars and my hand in His side, I will not believe."

(Sign saying "THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS" or "INRI") Luke 23:38 Above Him were written these words: THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS.

(Small piece of sponge) Matthew 27:48One of them ran up at once, took a sponge, soaked it in cheap wine, put it on the end of a stick, and tried to make Him drink it.

(Something representing a spear (i.e. a toothpick)) John 19:34 One of the soldiers plunged his spear into Jesus' side, and at once blood and water poured out.

(Rock) Matthew 27:59-60 Joseph took the body, wrapped it in a new linen sheet, and placed it in his own new tomb, which he had just recently dugout of solid rock. Then he rolled a large stone across the entrance to the tomb and went away.

(Empty) Matthew 28:6 He is not here He has risen just as He said.

"HE IS RISEN! HE IS RISEN, INDEED!"

No comments:

Post a Comment