Thursday, February 5, 2009

Love Is In The Air...

Valentine's Day is just over a week away, and I have been trying to think of a way for my husband and I to celebrate Valentine's day as both a Family and, err... as a Couple. (blush)

I am sure that like every family out there, Valentine's Day has changed throughout the years. Before we had Jackson, Jack and I would celebrate however we liked. We'd go out to an expensive restaurant, he'd buy me jewelry/flowers/cards, etc. and we would make total strangers nauseous by our unabashed PDA.
After we had Jackson, we realized that we can't go overboard and be sporadic as much as we would like to. Also, getting a sitter for "V-Day" is a little harder these days.

I have found some Romantic Valentine's Day Ideas for couples as well as some ideas to celebrate with the little ones that I wanted to share because I always stress when trying to plan something. I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist, and when things don't go according to MY plan, I tend to get a teensy-bit upset. (Jack, you can stop laughing now...)

So here's to a Stress-Free Valentine's Day, as well as a frugal one!

For the Kids:

I think it is important to celebrate with your children first. There are so many activities you all can do together, and it really makes the kids feel special, too! Not to mention all the fun memories you will create!
  1. Have the kids make cards and decorate the house.
  2. Eat heart-shaped pancakes for breakfast
  3. Play "Kissed by Cupid". It's pretty much the same idea as a Mistletoe at Christmas-time. Just print out a picture of Cupid, pin him up in the door way so he hangs, and when you get 'caught' under Cupid, you get KISSED! (Rumor has it that if Cupid shoots you with his arrow, you will fall in love with the first person you see...)
  4. Have a Family Game Nite! It's a great way to spend quality time with the family.
  5. Give family hugs.
  6. Be sure to share the love you have with your spouse with your whole family, whom I am sure you love just as much!
  7. There are also some really great ideas for crafts, activities, and printables over at KidsSoup.
  8. Oh, ya! Don't forget to put the kids to bed early (wink wink), or at the very least occupy them, I mean treat them with a movie of their choice. It is a holiday, after all!

If the kids are still awake after all this, let them join in reminiscing over your wedding album, or write love letters to one another. One day, they'll remember how in love their parents were when they were young, and be thankful that you showed it to them and shared it with them.

For the Love Birds:

  1. Make your Valentine feel special by leaving a small love note with three very magical words written on it. 'Do The Dishes', I'm totally kidding! Sort of. Write 'I Love You' on a note and place it beside their bed. They will feel so special when they wake up, knowing you thought about them. (Then he might do the dishes for you anyway!)
  2. Prepare a nice home-made supper, preferably their favorite dish, and use your fine china. If you don't feel like cooking, call for take out and still use your fine china. Don't forget to light a few candles...It's fun!
  3. Guys, women really like to get flowers. Or, at least I do! Personally, I prefer Oriental Lillies (Jack). I just love the way they smell!
  4. Buying a card is great and all, but if you are the daring type (or just have a way with words) you can make a nice, colorful, heartfelt card instead. Either way, a card is a nice way to show your love an affection for your spouse (Jack).
  5. If you aren't a master when it comes to words, you can always rely on good Old Faithful. Some action may be required on your part. That's right! Go on and give your spouse a nice tight hug! ;o)
  6. Dim the lights, play some music softly in the background, and tell each other how much you love one another, and how special and important they are to you, and how you couldn't imagine your life without them in it...without words...
Well, that's all I've got. If anyone else has ideas they want to share, please do.

2 comments:

  1. These are some great ideas for V-day :)

    You are so pretty and you have a beautiful family. I love the puppy pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for your sweet compliments about my family!
    :o)

    ReplyDelete