Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Talk About An Eventful Morning!

So, this is how my morning went today.

I get to work at 7:00 am, and as soon as I open the phone lines I get a phone call from 911 dispatch asking if everything was okay. I noted there was a meeting on the 6th floor (the floor I work on), so I told dispatch that someone may have tried to get an outside line and accidentally dialed 911 by mistake. As soon as I hang the phone up, a man that I work with tells me that there is a FIRE on the 3rd floor of the building, and that we all need to "Get Out!".

Great.

I haven't mentioned that I wear 4" heels... daily, have I?

I had just grabbed a cup of my morning coffee from the kitchen before I sat down at my desk, so when I was told to go, I gathered my things (my coat, purse, keys, and coffee) and began to walk down the hallway that leads to the stairwell. Because I am (obviously) in a hurry, my hot, fresh coffee is spilling with every step I take. For me, that is total Coffee-Abuse! When I reach the stairwell, I realized that it would probably be best that I not bring my coffee on my trip, so I set it down...without even taking my first sip.

Down I go - 6 stories, 12 flights of stairs, wearing 4" heels. YEA! With every passing floor, the herd of people gets increasingly more crowded. I really hate crowds, and this was a bit much to deal with, especially without having any coffee first! (I'll get over that in a little bit, I'm sure...)

The temperature this morning was in the low 30's, and we were told to wait outside in the parking lot until we received direction from the Fire Marshall. I met up with a small group of my girlfriends, and we watched as all the emergency vehicles made their way to our building. In all, there were 9 Ladders (Firetrucks), 4 Boosters, and 2 Ambulances.

Everyone got out of the building okay, and no one got hurt (Thank God!), but everyone was FREEZING from standing out in the cold for over an hour! My toes were so cold, it felt like needles were poking through them!

As it turns out, the fire started in the heating ducts on the third floor.

Once the firemen were through, they told us that all floors could return to work, except the 3rd floor. They needed to wait so the floor could air out before anyone returned.

Now, it's back up the 6 stories, 12 flights of stairs, in my 4" heels. By the time I got back to my desk, my butt hurt soo bad and my legs felt like jello. I'm so out of shape...

Now it's back to work; break-time over! (I got a new cup of coffee, so all is well, lol!!!)

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Glad to hear that everyone is ok and yes, that is coffee abuse! LOL You can't be that out of shape with 4" heels and that many flights of stairs - you go girl!

    Thank you for stopping by my blog. Isn't Heather's great? She was one of the first blogs I started read on a regular basis when I started blogging.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shanna,

    Thanks for your comment! Heather's blog was the first blog I started reading as well! I think I did a google search about home life, and hers came up...I've been a follower ever since!

    I hope you have a wonderful day as well!

    ReplyDelete