Friday, January 30, 2009

Baby Grace

I can't get it out of my mind! I really, really wish I could, but I can't. As a Mother, I am enraged, sickened and heart-broken by this story! I have so many questions like, "Why?", "How could they?", and "WTF were they thinking?"...
I don't know how many of you keep up with the news, but in October of last year a fisherman found the remains of a little girl stuffed into a plastic container on an uninhabited portion of West Galveston Island. Authorities named the little girl, Baby Grace. I won't go into much detail about what happened, but you may read it here: http://www.click2houston.com/news/18572302/detail.html

Baby Grace was a two year-old, blonde haired, blue-eyed little girl who's real name was Riley Ann Sawyers. She was literally beaten and tortured to death by her Mother and Step-Father in an attempt to "teach manners". Apparently, Riley forgot to say "please" and "yes sir", so for that she paid with her life.

Authorities learned that Riley was killed in July, and her parents, instead of trying to HELP this little girl, went to a store...picked up a plastic container...stuffed their daughter in it, and LEFT her in their SHED for "A MONTH or TWO" before they dumped her in the bay.

Prosecutors spent three hours telling a grand jury why they should upgrade the charges from Injury to a Child to Capitol Murder, and the jury took nearly three minutes to agree. The pair were also charged with tampering with evidence for disposing of Riley's body.

Now, we live in a state that embraces Capitol Punishment. I really hate to sound to brass about this, but it's true. There is no beating-around-the-bush about it. Texas leads the nation in the number of executions performed, and it is my opinion that the crime that took place here fits the mold for an execution for BOTH of these evil P.O.S's!
Unfortunately, the couple will NOT lose their lives if convicted of Capitol Murder (even though murder of an individual under six years of age IS a capitol offense) because Galveston officials believe the death penalty would be thrown out on appeal because, and I quote, "there was no evidence that (Trenor or Ziegler) would be a continuing threat to society." If convicted of capital murder, they face a maximum sentence of life in prison without parole.

I have two words for these people, and I pray the jury feels the same way I do... GENERAL POPULATION.

As a Christian woman, I believe these two will have to answer to God for what they did to this sweet little girl. I know that judgment on Earth pales in comparison to that of our Heavenly Father. In cases such as this one, my belief provides me with comfort, knowing that ultimately they will get theirs.
As a Christian woman I say, MAY GOD SHOW THEM NO MERCY!


No comments:

Post a Comment