Thursday, January 29, 2009

Houston Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Club

First, Jackson and I are taking Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Typically, the instructor only allows children ages five and up to join the class, but due to Jackson's comprehension level and size, they went ahead and let him join. During Jackson's first lesson he was paired up with another young girl to practice with. The children are given drills and taught different maneuvers to learn, and at the conclusion of the class, the children get to demonstrate what they have learned with their partner in front of the instructor.

Jackson did very well, and out of the lessons he demonstrated, he only "lost" one match. He was crushed, and yes, he cried. He is such a perfectionist that when he "loses" or can't do something the first time, it upsets him greatly.I was very happy that the instructor showed him compassion and patience instead of belittling and chastising him. That right there showed me that I made the right decision in choosing this class for him!

I am taking the adult class after Jackson's class, and I have to say...it's pretty intense! I am the only woman in the class, so of course I had to prove myself and "earn my respect" from the other guys. Before the class started, I went to the restroom to change out of my dress, and when I came out, one of the guys said to me, "Oh...for a minute there I thought you were changing for the adult class.", to which I replied that I did. Then, the guy laughs at me! I asked him why he thought that was funny, and he says to me, "(still with the smirky-smile) Well, what made you decide to do Jiu-Jitsu? Have you done this before?" I furled my brow at him, and basically stared him down. I explained that, no, I have not done anything like this before, and that I suppose I decided to do jiu-jitsu for some of the same reasons he decided to join. (Cue staring match no. 2...)

Once I received my gi, I joined the guys who had already began their drills. We ran, galloped forwards and backwards, had to do flips (where you basically dive between your legs and flip over), and did this exercise the really works your lower abs...more than I have worked them in six years, lol! We also had to do this thing called a "caterpillar", which is where you begin in a push-up position and do a push-up, "jump" your feet to where your hands are, and then "walk your hands out" back to a push-up position and start over...and we had to to this the entire length of the practice area. I was tired before our lesson even began! Unfortunately (for me) I could not let on that I am out of shape because I was still trying to prove myself.

We learned how to get out of someones mounted guard, and put them in your guard, and also how to get out of a standing head-lock, and submit (or break one's arm out of their rotator cuff) them.

At the conclusion of our lesson, all of the students have to show the instructor what we have learned and receive our critiques. I am very happy to say that I was one of the few students in the class that did not have to re-do my maneuvers for the professor because I nailed it the first time! YEA FOR ME!!! After the class was over, the guys came up to me and introduced and congratulated me on my Job Well Done! That made me feel good!

Again, it's all pretty intense, but completely worth it to know that I am able to take care of myself (and Jackson, too!) if I should ever be put in that situation!

No comments:

Post a Comment